|My Grandad and Nanna. My dad's mum and dad|
There are so many questions I wish I had asked them but I didn't even think of asking them when they were alive. I suppose I thought they'd always be around.
My mothers mother was born in the west of Ireland, She was the 7th child of a 7th child and spoke only Irish until she was about 7 years old. She left Ireland just after the Irish war of Independence in about 1922. She was 19. That's all I know.
|My Nanny, me and Bears daddy. My mum's mum.|
My mother told me that Nan left home because her father wouldn't let her cut her long hair short. Oh how I wish I could have asked her about that. I can hear her laughter and her wonderful Irish accent, she loved to laugh. She would have told me all about it, how she left Ireland and travelled to London. How she met my grandad and fell in love. All about her parents and grandparents. Her brothers and sisters. Now there is no one left that I can ask. If only I could turn the clock back just a little but that of course is impossible.
So if you are lucky enough to still have grandparents sit with them talk about their past. You may think "boring" but I assure you when you are older and they have gone you will just wish....
So to get you started here's some questions to ask your grandparents before it's too late
- What were the names of your grandparents and what are your memories of them?
- When and where were your parents and brothers and sisters born?
- What schools did you attend? Did you like school? What were they like?
- What was the best thing about your childhood?
- What is your earliest childhood memory?
- How did you meet Nanny/Grandad?
- When and where were you married? What was the best bit?
- Tell me about the day mum/dad was born
- Where have you lived? Where did you like best?
- What jobs have you had? Who did you work for and what did you do?
- Do you know any stories about the history of the family?
- What was your proudest moment?
- What has been your biggest challenge?
- What are some of your favourite things? Favourite flowers? Favourite books? Favourite songs? Favourite foods?
Oh and don't forget to write the answers down!
Are there any questions you would add to my list?
If you would like to see more in this series click on the "Family Tree" part of the badge below and it will take you directly to my index page.