I love learning new things and when I was asked if I would like to Study At Home with NCC Online* I jumped at the chance. There is such a huge choice of courses to study, either online or on paper and all are fully supported by a tutor.
I have been researching my family tree for about 8 years and would love a recognised qualification so I chose the diploma in Genealogy. The course is designed for people with no knowledge at all so I do not have to worry that it will be too difficult for me.
Why Study At Home with NCC Online?
1. Study when it is suitableUnlike classroom based courses home learning can fit around other commitments like childcare or work. An hour here or an afternoon there. It suits my lifestyle as I can fit it around caring for my grandson. I also do not have to spend time getting to and from a venue.
2. At my own paceStudying at my own pace has so many benefits. If I find a module is easy then I can whizz through it and on to the next, if it is difficult then I can take my time. Whenever I have some free time I can dip into the course and do a little more.
3. AffordableThe courses themselves can be paid for in one go or in instalments and home learning can be fitted around work so no need to have loans or to cut working hours.
4. Time management and self disciplineBusy people always seem to get so much done I am sure it's because they manage their time well and do not waste time deciding what to do.
The courses are set out in modules that I just have to work through, so no spending ages deciding what to do next, allowing me to manage my time effectively.
Self discipline? I am a little bit of a procrastinator so it will be interesting to see later in the course if I have developed any self discipline.
What am I looking forward to?
The Genealogy course is divided into 10 modules and I am particularly looking forward to Module 2 - Career or Hobby as I have never thought about a career in Genealogy and also Module 10 - What To Do With Your Findings and How To Write Up a Family Tree. I have so much information about my ancestors that I just do not know how to organise or how to make sense of all the information.
This looks like an in depth course that will require some serious study on my part. When I have completed the first few modules I will have an idea of the amount of time I need for the course and if my reasons for studying at home were realistic and correct.
Are you a Jack of all trades and master of none? Why not have a look at the NCC Online website and see if they have a course for you?
* I have been given the Genealogy course for the purpose of this review. All opinions are honest and my own.